Optimistic by nature, cynical by experience.
People often ask me why I use the name “The Optimistic Cynic”. The simple answer is ‘the name picked me’ but here is what it really means for me:
- I’m a passionate believer that people basically want to do good. It’s not always easy but with the right support, values and information I know we can do more.
- I know we can overcome just about every obstacle life throws in our way. Together we can be resilient, adaptable and creative.
- There’s beauty all around us, sometimes we just need to be reminded where to look.
- Life isn’t a fairy tale though. We need to be strong, question what’s around us and be pragmatic. As the man said, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
- ‘Yes, but…’ is a legitimate tool to test our thinking, we need our devil advocates.
- The optimist needs a cynic, and the cynic needs an optimist. Ying and yang working together.
I latched onto this name from my experiences with the disability sector and it grew from there. We have so much potential to provide everyone with a great life but when systems control us, innovation dies out. People believe in equality but don’t always treat people equally. Disability has taught me that we can always do better.